Friday, July 20, 2007

Two Great Reads




Finished both of these books last week, and highly recommend each. Each author, in their own distinct style (nothing subtle about either one) effectively demonstrates the importance of viewing the world, including many of the problems and issues facing society today, through the lens of evolution. I have read Dawkins' books so I knew what to expect, and was not at all dissapointed. While I have read many of Silver's essays, this was the first book of his that I have read, and I really liked his style which consists of an effective blend of personal stories combined with scientific support to illustrate his points. He even goes a little further than just attacking the religious right, by sharing equal time in condemning the eco-left for impeding scientific progress (with humanitarian benefit) as well. In light of the current work going on in synthetic biology circles, this is a very timely publication, and should be widely read.

No comments: