Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rutgers Weather Risk Seminar

(in my inbox today)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------



THE MERGER OF SCIENCE AND BUSINESS:  BEING A METEOROLOGIST IN CORPORATE AMERICA

SPEAKER:   MEGAN LINKIN
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT, SWISS RE

DATE/TIME/LOCATION:
FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2011 – 2:30PM – ROOM 223
 Environmental & Natural Resource Sciences Bldg.
14 College Farm Road, New Brunswick, NJ


HOST :  Dr. Alan Robock, 732-932-9800 X6222, robock@envsci.rutgers.edu
Contact Person:  Jeannie Nicewicz, 732-932-9800 X6101, jnicewicz@envsci.rutgers.edu

Seminar Website:  http://www.envsci.rutgers.edu/info/seminar/seminar.shtml



Abstract:
The insurance and financial industries offer extensive opportunities for scientists to apply their technical knowledge to an array of business transactions. Catastrophe model development, weather risk analysis and insurance-linked security (ILS) structuring are just a few of the industry specialties that companies hire scientists to focus on.

Having an understanding of what the hazard is, be it hurricane, earthquake, tornado or flood, and how the exposed structures will respond, enables scientists to build the most accurate tools to estimate damages, expected losses and risk premium costs.  Since 2008, I am one of the scientists that builds these tools and performs risk analysis for companies in the insurance industry.

My career is a certainly different to the career I envisioned for myself while pursuing my undergraduate degree at Rutgers, however, I am happy with the path I have chosen.  My decision to move into the private sector and corporate America has allowed me to apply my skills and knowledge in unique and challenging ways and become well-versed in business, economic and insurance fundamentals and concepts. 


No comments: